A race around a local area with a number of famous or infamous cultural landmarks and curious places to find and discover, each one identified and pinpointed on the map by solving a mysterious and fiendish puzzle. As they explore, teams will get the chance to locate and visit the most exciting, beautiful and interesting locations around the area. They can earn points and win the game by exploring these cultural hotspots and providing the right answer to questions and completing cultural challenges.
- To improve communication within the team
- To practice planning and organisation
- To consider leadership skills
- To focus on team synergy and individual roles
- To get to know each other and have a fun and enjoyable time
- To manage time and complete team challenges together
In the Cultural Discovery activity, teams travel via public transport or a minivan with a driver. They are equipped with a map of the area and an instruction sheet containing a series of cryptic location clues, questions (Local Cultural Riddles), and challenges (Cultural Activity Challenges). Teams must decipher the clues to find the locations, answer the questions, and complete the challenges to collect points. Scoring is reviewed during the event debrief, and the team with the most points wins a prize.
Types of Challenges
- Cultural Riddles: These questions are posed at culturally significant locations and are related to the location. Teams must answer them to earn points.
- Cultural Activities: These are hands-on experiences related to Vietnamese culture, guided by professionals in the field. Teams must complete these activities to earn points. Example challenges include Vietnamese martial arts and traditional dance.
The clues guide teams to specific locations on the map, where they must complete the questions and challenges. All teams receive the same clues, questions, and challenges but must solve them independently.
To prevent teams from waiting for another team to complete a challenge, we offer different routes for all teams as an add-on option.
Example Challenge Instruction:
Vietnamese Water Puppetry
“All team members must participate in a quick challenge by joining a Vietnamese water puppetry class for about 10 minutes. Afterward, perform your own short puppet show. Your facilitator will hand you your next route envelope when your puppetry instructor approves your performance.”
Cultural Activities List:
- Vietnamese Drumming: Teams will observe a traditional Vietnamese drum performance and then learn how to play the drums themselves.
- Lantern Making: Teams will learn the art of Vietnamese lantern-making and create their own lanterns.
- Rice Paper Making: Teams will be taught the traditional method of making rice paper, a staple in Vietnamese cuisine.
- Vietnamese Dancing: Teams will observe and then recreate a traditional Vietnamese dance routine.
- Conical Hat Painting: Teams will paint their own designs on Vietnam’s iconic conical hats.
- Pho Cooking: Teams will learn how to make Vietnam’s famous pho soup from scratch.
- Lotus Flower Garland Making: Teams will learn how to create a traditional lotus flower garland.
- Pagoda Quest: Teams will visit a renowned pagoda, answer questions about the location, and receive a blessing from a monk.
- Vietnamese Street Food: Teams will have to find and enjoy specific local snacks and drinks at a street food stall.
- Fruit Smoothie Making: Teams will make a traditional Vietnamese fruit smoothie following a specific recipe.
- Kite Making: Teams will learn how to make a traditional Vietnamese kite and then fly it for at least one minute.
- Lacquer Painting: Teams will learn the art of Vietnamese lacquer painting and create their own artwork.
- Vietnamese Coffee Making: Teams will learn how to make traditional Vietnamese coffee.
- Ao Dai Painting: Teams will paint designs on Vietnam’s traditional Ao Dai dresses.
The cultural discovery locations often change depending on the duration of the event, but often include temples, waterfalls and sites of local myth and legend.
The locations for the event are pre-selected, however teams must design their own route.
Teams can earn points by finding the locations, answering the questions correctly and completing the challenges successfully as well as bonus points for budget returned, time back and photo tasks if any. Scoring is done during the event debrief and the team with the most points is the winner.
Insurance and instructor supervision at all times is an important safety factor, and in the event of an emergency of team member withdrawal, transport and medical backup will be standing by.
The event briefing takes place at the starting point of the race, usually in a meeting room or lobby of the client’s hotel or a restaurant. The group is separated into teams and introduced to their facilitators, then the lead facilitator gives an introduction of the event including (safety) instructions and objectives for the activity.
During the debrief, the facilitator discusses the event challenges and asks each team questions to assess their performance before announcing the winning team (if applicable).
Briefing and debrief usually take around 15 minutes each but can be extended for more in-depth analysis of team performance.
The half day program is up to 4 hours and includes up to 6 locations and the full day up 8 hours and includes up to 10 locations.
Market Barter – Thai Shopping game
Lunch or dinner in a local restaurant
T-shirts with your logo
Banners / Flags / Caps Gifts for all participants
Photographer or Videographer
Conference room rental and AV set up
09.00 am – Event brief by lead facilitator
09.15 am – Teams start to unravel the clues to find the locations, plan their route and travel to the first location
Teams have 2.5+ hours to visit as many clue locations as possible, answers as many questions, complete as many challenges and aim to acquire as many points as possible for their team.
12.00 pm – Teams must head to the finish
12.30 pm – Event de-brief, awarding ceremony and group photo
01.00 pm – End of the program
People per Team
Below are three options for the Cultural Discovery with different inclusions and rates all tailored to best match your budget and requirements. The Bronze option is a fixed program with few inclusions but the Silver and Gold packages include extra benefits and allow selection of some or all challenges. On the pricing page we offer further optional extras. The full day activity will have up to double the number of challenges.
All options include
One Western lead event facilitator
One bottle of water per person, first aid kits, rain coats
5 Cultural Riddles
One facilitator per 40 pax
*By foot and no facilitators with teams
3 Cultural Riddles
2 Cultural Activities
One facilitator per 10 pax
+Market Barter challenge
+Transportation or budget for transport
+Prizes for winning team (local handicraft or medals)
+Free photos taken by facilitator
2 Cultural Riddles
3 Cultural Activities
One facilitator per 10 pax
+Trophy for winning team
+Team flags to keep
+Colored headbands to use